Monday, June 17, 2013
Butterick B5605 Retro Pattern Review
B5605 is a darling dress. It was simple to sew and I am very happy with the finished product. Because of the fabric I chose, I wound up lining both the bodice and the skirt. I wasn't thrilled with the short or long sleeves that were part of the pattern, so I modified it to have small cap sleeves. I also shortened the tie at the back so that I wouldn't have a giant bow sitting on my back and widened the neckline slightly at the shoulder seams to give a more boat-neck look. The jury is still out on the success of that mod. One odd thing about this pattern was that when I cut my size out, I wound up having to take several inches from the center back and the same on the skirt to get it to fit properly. That meant that I also needed to widen the U-shaped neckline at the back so I didn't wind up with a V. I made it slightly wider than the pattern called for. I also had to move the pleats at the back so they didn't get eaten by the zipper. They now open toward the outside instead of toward the zipper. I did not sew a belt, but used one I already had.
I would almost always recommend sewing a muslin of the bodice of these dresses first and fitting them before making the real thing. You will be glad you did on this one! The dress is comfortable and fun to wear, with a nice full skirt that doesn't flip up with the slightest breeze.
Posted by Sputnik at 6:20 AM