Friday, March 15, 2013

One Small Step for (wo)Man

This week I took the reciprocating saw to the rear endcap, cut it into three pieces and hubs helped me cleco the two sides in.  It was a pleasant surprise that the old holes lined up very easily.  I was expecting the whole trailer to have gone whomperjawed with the shell-off project, but I guess we didn't do too bad.  


The endcaps won't be left that way.  I am going to use them to make a template for the metal encaps I hope to make, then take the fiberglass out and install the metal.  
Wumphf.  This is going to be a project.  
I put the old metal panels in the back corners to make sure they still fit, then traced them onto the new metal, cut them out and dry fitted them in.  So far so good!

Even though these are just small steps, it makes my heart sing to see some of that nice new aluminum skin inside the trailer.
  
Hubs braced for the top fridge vent and the kitchen counter:

The place we got the really long pieces of sheet metal from only had painted metal.  We are using the "wrong" side for the interior.  The least expensive color to have the "right" side painted was a dark, sparkly grey blue.  It is lovely!  I will have to take a picture next time I am at the shop.  It makes me a little sad to be covering it up, but hubs noted that it would be like living in a troll hole.  

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I am thoroughly enjoying your blog and the progress you are making. Looks great! Can't wait to see your foray into endcap making.

    Totally envious of that great price on aluminum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Hmm...don't be too excited about the endcaps. I may wind up making them out of cardboard and duct tape before they commit me to the crazy house!

    ReplyDelete